Mai Pen Rai: Jen's Adventures in Thailand

"EVERY TIME YOU HAVE MADE A THOUGHT, LAUGH AT IT." ~LAO TZU

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Good Times, Bad Times

As always in life, things around here keep changing. I've almost finished my summer semester which was a rewarding experience. I felt really blessed to have such dilligent students who actually wanted to do homework and come to class every day. The hot season is still here but hopefully will be winding down very soon. We were also very lucky that the cyclone that hit Myanmar didn't do any damage in northern Thailand though we were directly in the route of the storm.

Hilary will be leaving on Tuesday. She's been here with me for 2 years and has been a constant source of joy and friendship. I can't imagine Thailand without her. I'm trying very hard not to think about it so that I can enjoy our last few days together. I know the sadness won't really sink in until she's actually gone. I keep looking to the positive things in my life. My family will be here on Wednesday and it will be exciting to take them around Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Ayudthya and Koh Samet. I'm especially excited for my brother, Ryan as it's his first time in Asia. It will be wonderful to have a reunion of our whole family and also for everyone to meet Otto. Another positive note is that Otto will be moving in at the end of May. I'm excited for us to share our time in our little house in Lampang. I'm also excited for Otto to be able to free-lance and pursue his own artistic and architectural goals.

Two friends will be coming to teach at Yonok next semester. Kazu, our Japanese friend, is moving back to Lampang from Chiang Mai. And our dear friend Sudha will be moving back to Lampang to teach in the English Department with Nadine and I. It will be great having more friends around at work. This weekend is full of parties. A birthday party tonight for a precocious 9-year old (Katerina). Hil, Nong and I made a pinata for the kids and also one for the adults. Tomorrow night is Kirk's annual fruity-cocktail party. Everyone brings a bottle of liquor, tons of fresh fruit and we commence to make our own crazy fruit slush concoctions. Hil and I will also be singing a couple songs at the party. So this week will be a week of good times but also tears as we say goodbye to Hilary.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Hilary said...

    tears is right! tears in khai jeow. poor, poor otto.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home